Drs. Girgis & Associates, S.C. has an independent physical therapy (PT) services available on site for TREATMENT OF VESTIBULAR DISORDERS (Dizziness/In-balance). More than 90 million Americans will complain to their doctors of dizziness at least once in their lifetime. Drs. Girgis & Associates, S.C. incorporates a multi-disciplinary, comprehensive management approach. Our physicians focus on all aspects of the patient's problem, from the underlying pathology through the individual treatment plan.
For each patient, the diagnosis and therapy can be provided in a faster, more comprehensive and cost-effective manner.
- 50% of the population will see their doctor because of dizziness and loss of balance at least once in their life.
- Dizziness is the #1 complaint of people over 60.
- Dizzy patients see an average of five doctors before finally getting a diagnosis.
- 40% of falls are because of dizziness and balance disorders.
- Falls are the leading cause of injury and death for people over 55.
- If you fall once, you will fall again.
- Dizziness and balance disorders cause increased isolation and dependency on others.
Causes of Dizziness
Balance disorders are very difficult to diagnose and treat because there is often more than one underlying cause. Knowledge of all the sensory systems that contribute to balance as well as how each system works together and interacts with the brain is essential.
- Benign Positional Vertigo (BPPV) - BPPV is the number one cause of all dizziness. It involves intense, brief episodes of vertigo associated with a change in the position of your head, often when you turn over in bed or sit up in the morning.
- Vestibular Neuronitis - inflammation of the inner ear
- Meniere's Disease - a buildup of fluid in the inner ear
- Vestibular Migraine - dizziness and vertigo that may or may not be accompanied by headaches
- Head Trauma
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Stroke and heart attack
- Slow-growing tumors
- Joint and muscle weakness
- High or low blood pressure
- Viral infections